Bustling with energy and excitement all year long, Oahu also holds its share of quiet spots that are perfect for kicking back. While there are great beaches to relax in well-known areas such as Waikiki and Ala Moana, they tend to be crowded and finding parking can take a lot of time out of your day. Fortunately, there are quiet and secluded beaches around the island, as well as spas and resorts where you can treat yourself to a Hawaiian-style, or lomilomi massage, and other experiences that will bring comfort and peace to your otherwise busy itinerary. From remote beaches to luxurious spas, here are our Top 5 Relaxation Spots to Visit on Oahu!
1. Nuuanu Pali Lookout: There’s nothing that will stop you in your tracks like experiencing Oahu’s amazing panoramic views. The Nuuanu Pali Lookout is definitely no exception. Located just a few miles from Waikiki, this scenic point provides one of the most spectacular views of Windward Oahu. The dramatic cliffs of the lush Koolau Mountain Range juxtaposed with the brilliant blue of the Pacific Ocean will leave you in awe.
2. Waimanalo Bay Recreation Area: Lined by the longest uninterrupted white sand beach on the island, Waimanalo Bay is an ideal place for the quintessential beach stroll. Few tourists visit this hidden gem as it is off the beaten path, away from the city limits. Your feet will love sinking into the soft, powdery sand and your eyes will love feasting on the turquoise blue water. While the beach is very beautiful, be on the lookout for the Portuguese Man-of-War, commonly seen in the water and along the beach, as their tentacles are painfully venomous.
3. Diamond Head Beach Park: Nestled at the foot of Diamond Head, just minutes from the more popular Waikiki beaches, lies this little gem, a favorite of surfers and boogie boarders. A short hike down a paved path will take you to a half-mile stretch of beautiful sandy beach. Start your day watching a glorious sunrise as you watch the waves lap up along the shore.
4. Turtle Bay Resort: Located on Oahu’s stunning North Shore, this iconic resort offers five miles of beaches where you can find a quiet spot to work on your tan, enjoy a picnic lunch, or spend the day exploring tidepools for fascinating sea life. There are seven key beaches great for snorkeling, wading, strolling and doing whatever brings you peace. Treat your body to a restful massage at the Turtle Bay Resort Spa, or saddle up for an enjoyable oceanside journey on horseback. If golf is how you channel relaxation, then you’re going to love the two championship courses here!
5. Kahala Beaches: To reach the most peaceful stretch of beach in the quiet, upscale neighborhood of Kahala, park at Kahala Avenue. Stroll down one of several access points that will lead you to the beaches. Another place that’s rarely visited by tourists, this stretch of beach is perfect for relaxing, long walks and sunrise viewings. When you’ve had enough sunshine, stop at the Kahala Hotel & Resort for afternoon tea at The Veranda, a favorite of locals and visitors alike. After you’ve had your fill of tea and delectable bites take a leisurely stroll through the hotel grounds to a natural ocean water lagoon, home to a family of playful Atlantic Bottlenose dolphins, or arrange to rest those tired feet with a signature treatment like the Hoomaka Foot Ritual at the hotel’s spa.
When you’re ready to take things to a deeper level, contact us about exploring Waikiki’s undersea world in a real submarine, or to wind down the day watching a gorgeous sunset on our sunset dinner cruise.